Monday, March 29, 2010

#musicmonday

#musicmonday
Every Monday on Twitter is known as #musicmonday. Whether it be low on the trending topics or high, I have gained a few followers on Twitter asking me to listen to their music and spread their craft. Since following Stephenie Meyer and her love for indie bands, I have been picking up random bands from various sites. Normally from YouTube or by various conversations. What I want to do with this blog post is recommend a few bands or artists like I normally do on Twitter, but this way I can get it out of my system in over 140 characters.

1. S P E N C E R B E L L
Since you're already listening to the artist (his playlist is on auto-play, hopefully you didn't stop it), I thought I'd mention him first.
- How did I find out about him? I'm a huge J*Action fan, as most of you can tell. Jackson Rathbone mentioned that Spencer's song Tourist best describes himself, so I went off to find the song. I'm always up for new music.
- Who is he? Spencer Bell was a brilliant singer/songwriter/poet/musician. He died of adrenal cancer at the young age of twenty, but his music is truly legendary. His music isn't mainstream. There's no poppy riff or "Gaga glam" to go along with it. His music tells a story and leaves quite a haunting echo behind him. (If you visit the links below, you can purchase his songs or merchandise and donate money to his cause.)
- Genius Player (sounds like...) If you like 100 Monkeys, The Stevedores, Band of Big Foot, or other garage indie bands than you'll like this. Have an open mind when you listen to his music. Don't discard him because he's no Justin Bieber. (ugh.)
- Where do I go to learn more? www.spencerbellmemorial.com or if you'd rather go to Twitter: @spencerbell or @spencerbellEU. Also, if you do love his music and have a twitter account, help spread #spencerbellislegendary so that we can one day have Spencer's memory as a trending topic.

2. J O S H W O O D W A R D
- How did I find out about him? Very simply: Kaleb Nation (the TwilightGuy/ShiverGuy).
- Who is he? An amazing singer/songwriter. He makes videos on YouTube showing his genuine talent and overall amiable personality. I've mentioned him in a past #musicmonday and he thanked me. I've commented his video on YouTube and he messaged me to reply. He's a poetic lyricist who deserves more fans.
- Genius Player (sounds like...) If you enjoy acoustic covers (Jason Mraz, Damien Rice, etc.) then you will love Woodward. I put a song of his in my Genius player and it gave me a wide variety from Coldplay to Death Cab for Cutie to Regina Spektor as similar genres and sounds. Not one of Woodward's songs are overpowering and he doesn't need to be masked by a quirky gimmick.
- Where do I go to learn more? He has a Twitter account (@JoshWoodward), a website (www.joshwoodward.com), and you can visit his YouTube account (/joshwoodward). Enjoy.

Maybe next monday or throughout the week I will add more bands and artists for you to check out. Until then...
Follow me on Twitter for other musical advice:

1 comment:

Josh Woodward said...

Thanks a million, Paige. You rule! ♥